Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am self employed and I need to know what actions I need to

Customer Question
I am self employed...
I am self employed and I need to know what actions I need to take to re activate myelin number
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I hadn't used it since 1999. And it is costing me to not have taxes taken out during the year .Because at the end during tax it's large sum which causes other things to go wrong so that is why I was trying to get hat re started this month
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Tax
1/4/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 10 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The IRS does not generally inactivate or track the inactivity of the EIN. It is a number that is forever assigned to the entity for which it was issued, much like a Social Security Number(SSN). Like an SSN, the EIN cannot be transferred or used by another entity.

"The IRS cannot cancel your EIN. Once an EIN has been assigned to a business entity, it becomes the permanent Federal taxpayer identification number for that entity. Regardless of whether the EIN is ever used to file Federal tax returns, the EIN is never reused or reassigned to another business entity. The EIN will still belong to the business entity and can be used at a later date, should the need arise.
If you receive an EIN but later determine you do not need the number (the new business never started up, for example), the IRS can close your business account."

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Canceling-an-EIN-Closing-Your-Account

If you are self-employed, taxes will not be withheld from any payments to you. You will make estimated quarterly payments to the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/estimated-taxes

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent