How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3362
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am self employed and I need to know what actions I need to

Customer Question

I am self employed and I need to know what actions I need to take to re activate myelin number
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I hadn't used it since 1999. And it is costing me to not have taxes taken out during the year .Because at the end during tax it's large sum which causes other things to go wrong so that is why I was trying to get hat re started this month
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The IRS does not generally inactivate or track the inactivity of the EIN. It is a number that is forever assigned to the entity for which it was issued, much like a Social Security Number(SSN). Like an SSN, the EIN cannot be transferred or used by another entity.

"The IRS cannot cancel your EIN. Once an EIN has been assigned to a business entity, it becomes the permanent Federal taxpayer identification number for that entity. Regardless of whether the EIN is ever used to file Federal tax returns, the EIN is never reused or reassigned to another business entity. The EIN will still belong to the business entity and can be used at a later date, should the need arise.
If you receive an EIN but later determine you do not need the number (the new business never started up, for example), the IRS can close your business account."

If you are self-employed, taxes will not be withheld from any payments to you. You will make estimated quarterly payments to the IRS.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,