Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I cashed in an IRA from a divorce. Paid my taxes on it and…

I cashed in an...

I cashed in an IRA from a divorce. Paid my taxes on it and worked only a month this year. Also Nov 21st got remarried to a man who was retired until September 2016. I have lived here since April*****would benefit us most on filing? I know if I filed and wasn't married I could claim exempt. He can claim exempt too but went back to work in September 2016 for SWA. I have a SSI disability claim pending too. Due to medical reasons. How should we file and can he claim head of household and us file separately so I get all my taxes back since I only worked 1 month this year? Please help us we don't know what to do... Thank you Renee Shaw

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

He pays $600 in child support and we can't even pay our bills. He put in for a child support reduction but we haven't heard on that yet. He makes less than minimum wage after SWA takes 50% of his check and I can't work due to medical problems.

1/3/2017
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi Renee. I can help here. My name's Lane

...

I'll need your actual numbers so that I can run it both ways married filing jointly vs married filing separately.

...

Head of household isn't an available status unless you weren't married in 2016 OR were married and didn't live together for the for the last six months of the year.

...

But it's VERY likely that married filing jointly will work best. Not only is the standard deduction twice as high (first 12600 of income not taxable, with BOTH of you still getting the 4050 personal exemption - which means that the first 12600 + 4050 + 4050 = isn't even taxable.

...

But also the brackets are higher (lower taxes on the same level of income for Married filing jointly) This is done to accommodate TWO people earning income ... so when one of you have very little (especially when the other only worked part of the year) Married filing jointly will VERY likely be the best way to file.

If you can tell me the ballpark income amounts for the year, I can run it for you.

...

Look at the single brackets (first here) vs the joint brackets. (And remember the joit filers take 20,000 of Untaxed income before those TAXABLE income brackets even apply;

...

Single Filing Status

[Tax Rate Schedule X, Internal Revenue Code section 1(c)]

• 10% on taxable income from $0 to $9,075, plus
  • 15% on taxable income over $9,075 to $36,900, plus
  • 25% on taxable income over $36,900 to 89,350, plus
  • 28% on taxable income over $89,350 to $186,350, plus
  • 33% on taxable income over $186,350 to $405,100, plus
  • 35% on taxable income over $405,100 to $406,750, plus
  • 39.6% on taxable income over $406,750.

Married Filing Jointly or Qualifying Widow(er) Filing Status

[Tax Rate Schedule Y-1, Internal Revenue Code section 1(a)]

• 10% on taxable income from $0 to $18,150, plus
  • 15% on taxable income over $18,150 to $73,800, plus
  • 25% on taxable income over $73,800 to $148,850, plus
  • 28% on taxable income over $148,850 to $226,850, plus
  • 33% on taxable income over $226,850 to $405,100, plus
  • 35% on taxable income over $405,100 to $457,600, plus
  • 39.6% on taxable income over $457,600.

Again if you'd like to give me ballpark numbers, I can give you a much more specific answer, but it's very likely that filing jointly makes the most sense.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me

But if this has helped, and you don’t have other questions, I would appreciate a positive rating (using those stars on your screen – and clicking submit)

That’s the only way JustAnswer will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Mine is about $800. Plus the IRA of 22,000 I paid over $4grand in taxes his is taxable income was $6458.20

OK bear with me just a sec

Oh yes, do you know how much he's had withheld from his paychecks?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He paid $495.24 this year in federal

great just a sec

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He can deduct parking
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
$160.00 for the year

What was your tax withholding on the IRA?

Did you see my question on the IRA taxes? (I can just ballpark at 4000 if you like)

...

And on the parking although parking is deductible, that only helps if your itemizing ... and your itemized deductions would have to be over 12,600 to be more than the standard deduction (which means you're really already getting that in the STANDARD deduction)

See this: (and you can add a dollar TO that refund for every dollar over 4000 that you had withheld from the IRA distribution)

...

Estimated Tax Analysis

Gross income $29,258

Qualified plan contributions- $0

Adjusted gross income= $29,258

Standard/Itemized deductions- $12,600

Personal exemptions- $8,100

Taxable income= $8,558

Tax liability before credits $856

Child tax credits-$0

Estimated tax liability= $856

Taxes withheld- $4,495

Tax surplus (refund) = $3,639

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm looking for it now

OK. Ill be here

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok if he can't claim head of household
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They took out almost 6000. Dollars cuz my deposit was only 16208.18 was my deposit check was for 22000.
Phone call session started

Attached, are the three runs we discussed (1) Married Filing Jointly and (2) yours fiing as married filing separately and his filing as married filing separately.

...

And again, as we discusses, I used $4000 as the IRA withholding. If there was more than that, this will add a dollar to the projected refund for every dollar over 4000 that was actually withheld.

...

Finally, we also discussed the fact that he can file as head of household being married and you living together... BUT once he has custody, should be able to take the dependency deduction for the son

Sorry ... [CAN'T] file as Head of Household this year