Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My elderly father in law receives a spcial security pension…

My elderly father in...

My elderly father in law receives a spcial security pension from the Netherlands government -- similar to US social security -- he lives in the US and is a US citizen --How does he report this -- just add it to his US social security to see if part of the whole is raxable ?

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/3/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Most income tax treaties have special rules for social security payments.

In many cases, foreign social security payments are taxable by the country making the payments.

Unless specified otherwise in an income tax treaty, foreign social security pensions are generally taxed as if they were foreign pensions or foreign annuities.

Unless a tax treaty allows it ( the USA-Canada treaty is the only one I am aware of that allows to treat like US SSA), they are not eligible for exclusion from taxable income the way a U.S. social security pension might be.

I will check the treaty, one sec please.

The treaty states

"Subject to the provisions of paragraph 2 of Article 20 (Government Service), pensions and other

payments made under the provisions of a public social security system and other public pensions paid

by one of the States (Netherlands) to a resident of the other State (US) or a citizen of the United

States shall be taxable only in the first-mentioned State."

Netherlands would tax not the US.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you