Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I work for NY based construction company but have moved to…

Customer Question
I work for NY...

I work for NY based construction company but have moved to Ashburn VA

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

How do I pay taxes -specifically payroll taxes are deducted from my paycheck next week- should I pay Ny or Virginia or both?

Accountant's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

When I file taxes for 2016, all will be based in NY

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Just that I moved to Virginia late Dec 2016 so this will be my first paycheck since move

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
1/3/2017
Tax Professional: ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi. Great Question. Are you working in Virginia now. If so, they would take out Virginia withholdings, including unemployment tax.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No still working in NY

Thank you.

They will withhold NY taxes - you will fill out the NYS return, but claim a credit for the taxes paid to NY on your Virginia return.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will file 2 state returns for 2017 - one non resident NY and one resident Virginia?

Hi. On a side note - you will be filling out a part-year Virginia Resident Form - if you were a resident under 183 days.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.