Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Can housekeeping services be deducted on taxeson, we pay

Customer Question

can housekeeping services be deducted on taxeson
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: we pay $200.00 a month for housekeeping services . Can they be deducted on income taxes?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: we are retired.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 months ago.

If your household employee cares for your dependent who is under age 13 or for your spouse or dependent who isn't capable of self-care, you may be able to take an income tax credit against some of your expenses.

To qualify, you must pay these expenses so you can work or look for work. If you can take the credit, you can include in your qualifying expenses your share of the federal and state employment taxes you pay, as well as the employee's wages.

For housekeeping services only with no care for a dependent or spouse, unfortunately, no, that cost is not a deduction.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if you need clarification. If you do not then a positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response. (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES)