How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3592
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have recently surrendered my card at a port of entry to

Customer Question

I have recently surrendered my green card at a port of entry to the US (in sep 2016) after just under 8 years (resident since July 2009) and I am unsure as to whether I need to file a return in the US for 2016, and if I need to complete a form 8854 for the IRS. I was only resident in the US for around 2-3 years total of the time and have been working/living in Ireland since 2013, and before that in Canada. Both countries have tax treaties with the US.
I have no US specific income to declare in 2016.
Do I need to file a return for 2016 in the US?
Do I need to complete and send a form 8854 to the IRS?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Expert_James replied 8 months ago.
Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. Please give me a few minutes to review your question and prepare a response.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** to mention I have filed tax returns in the US every year since I was a resident. I have an annual income of around 100K per year, and do not have assets of more than 300K.
Expert:  Expert_James replied 8 months ago.
This is the immigration category and you have asked a tax question. Therefore I need to send this question to the Tax category. Please be patient and do not respond, as this will only delay the transfer.
Expert:  Barbara replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Because you expatriated during 2016, Form 8854 is required.

As a citizen/green card holder, you must report and pay tax (if any) on your worldwide income. You are required to file a U.S. tax return for 2016.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,