Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I have recently surrendered my card at a port of entry to

Customer Question

I have recently surrendered my green card at a port of entry to the US (in sep 2016) after just under 8 years (resident since July 2009) and I am unsure as to whether I need to file a return in the US for 2016, and if I need to complete a form 8854 for the IRS. I was only resident in the US for around 2-3 years total of the time and have been working/living in Ireland since 2013, and before that in Canada. Both countries have tax treaties with the US.
I have no US specific income to declare in 2016.
Do I need to file a return for 2016 in the US?
Do I need to complete and send a form 8854 to the IRS?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Expert_James replied 8 months ago.
Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. Please give me a few minutes to review your question and prepare a response.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** to mention I have filed tax returns in the US every year since I was a resident. I have an annual income of around 100K per year, and do not have assets of more than 300K.
This is the immigration category and you have asked a tax question. Therefore I need to send this question to the Tax category. Please be patient and do not respond, as this will only delay the transfer.
Expert:  Barbara replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Because you expatriated during 2016, Form 8854 is required.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8854.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8854.pdf

As a citizen/green card holder, you must report and pay tax (if any) on your worldwide income. You are required to file a U.S. tax return for 2016.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb