How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12684
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Seeking for an answer re: deadline for non-profit filing of

Customer Question

Seeking for an answer re: deadline for non-profit filing of reports.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am a 501(c) 3 F and am not sure when I must file Annual Report
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I not sure
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

Hi. I can help here.


Are you asking about the state level annual reports or the federal 990 series?


Form 990 must be filed by an organization exempt from income tax under section 501(a) (including an organization that has not applied for recognition of exemption) if it has either (1) gross receipts greater than or equal to $200,000 or (2) total assets greater than or equal to $500,000 at the end of the tax year (with exceptions described below for organizations eligible to submit Form 990-N and for certain organizations described in Section B. Organizations Not Required to File Form 990 or 990-EZ, later). This includes:


  • Organizations described in section 501(c)(3) (other than private foundations), and

  • Organizations described in other 501(c) subsections (other than black lung benefit trusts).


Gross receipts are the total amounts the organization received from all sources during its tax year, without subtracting any costs or expenses. See Appendix B for a discussion of gross receipts.

For purposes of Form 990 reporting, the term section 501(c)(3) includes organizations exempt under sections 501(e) and (f) (cooperative service organizations)


If an organization normally has gross receipts of $50,000 or less, it must submit Form 990-N, Electronic Notice (e-Postcard)


File Form 990 by the 15th day of the 5th month after the organization's accounting period ends (May 15th for a calendar-year filer). If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, file on the next business day. A business day is any day that is not a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday.


If the organization is liquidated, dissolved, or terminated, file the return by the 15th day of the 5th month after liquidation, dissolution, or termination.


If the return is not filed by the due date (including any extension granted), explain in a separate attachment, giving the reasons for not filing on time.


Send the return to:

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Ogden, UT###-##-####/p>

Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

If you ARE asking about a state requirement, let me know your state and we can go from there.


Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me

But if this has helped, and you don’t have other questions, I would appreciate a positive rating (using those stars on your screen – and clicking submit)

That’s the only way JustAnswer will compensate me for the work here.



I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986