Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My wife and refinanced our home and we used part of the

My wife and refinanced...

My wife and refinanced our home and we used part of the money to pay off a HERO loan to CIT BANK, we use 19,281.48. Is it possible to deduct a % of that payment as a refund?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

We file together jointly, no dependents, I am a pastor, I also qualify for a parsonage exclusion.

1/2/2017
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

So sorry, but, although you can deduct INTEREST, repayment of borrowed fund's isn't deductible.

...

Perhaps it would help to understand the tax policy/logic here.

...

When money is lent, the money isn't taxable income to the borrower AND the lender doesn't get to deduct the loan.

...

The interest, however, (the cost of the loan) IS reportable/taxable interest to the lender ... and a deduction for the borrower.

...

As a matter of fact if the loan ISN'T repaid it becomes income to the borrower that borrowed and didn't repay, and the lender gets to write off the bad debt.

...

When that happens the lender sends a 1099-C (C stands for cancellation of debt) to the borrower and the borrower must report the cancellation of debt "income."

...

So, to recap, your interest is deductible, but so sorry, paying off a loan is not.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me

But if this has helped, and you don’t have other questions, I would appreciate a positive rating (using those stars on your screen – and clicking submit)

That’s the only way JustAnswer will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS