Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can an individual in the USA (like me) fill out a W-9 and

Customer Question
sign for a person who...
Can an individual in the USA (like me) fill out a W-9 and sign for a person who is in the Ukraine? The person (our nephew) made some money through a US firm and he wants to ensure that he is covered if he needs to report that income
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: No. Not that I know of
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
12/31/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi, and Happy New Year, almost.

...

The BEST practice here is to send to him and have him sign.

...

The W-9 is kept by the Payor (the US firm in this case) and is not sent to IRS.

...

He is just certifying to the firm that the Social Security number is *****

...

In the case of organizations, it's common for an employee to signn for the company. The individual filling out the form must (1) know the business name and address of the reporting entity and (2) the type of entity, such as a limited liability company or a corporation. The person filling out the form must also know (3) the entity's employer identification number and (4) whether the organization is exempt from backup withholding.

...

In the case of an individual, If he can't simply download the w-9 and send to the payor, you should execute a POA (power of Attorney) which gives you the authorization so sign for him. The POA must state specifically that you can sign the w-9.

...

See this: http://file:///C:/Users/Precision/Downloads/w9-form-guidance%20(1).pdf

...

And here's a W-9, which you could email to him?

...

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me

But if this has helped, and you don’t have other questions, I would appreciate a positive rating (using those stars on your screen – and clicking submit)

That’s the only way JustAnswer will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS