Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

I sold my home in 2016 and realized capital gains in excess

Customer Question

thanks. I sold my home in 2016 and realized capital gains in excess of the $250,000 exemption that I can claim as a single homeowner. My question is this: is the capital gains tax due by Dec. 31st, or do I just pay it when I file my tax return in April 2017?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: no, that no that's it
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions.

You would be responsible for paying the capital gains by April 15th.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks!

Generally you would have until April to pay the tax. You would want to make sure that you have 100% of what your total taxes were last year deposited (110% if your Adjusted Gross income was greater than $75,000). This would potential underpayment penalties. The 4th quarter deposit would be due by January 15th.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.