How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 586
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have not paid taxes since 2012. I work for a company

Customer Question

I have not paid taxes since 2012. I work for a company overseas who wires money directly into my account. I make approximately $70,000 per year. What steps should I take to legally resolve any debt to the IRS without serving jail time?
Submitted: 9 months ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

The IRS cannot put you in jail for owing money but can you be prosecuted for not filing a return. The first step is to file all your missing returns and get current as soon as possible. Than you can start talking to the IRS about taking care of the debt. Unless you file all the missing returns, the IRS will not even talk to you.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 9 months ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?