How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15598
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just received 5 different letters in the mail from Georgia

Customer Question

i just received 5 different letters in the mail from Georgia saying I owe back taxes for the years of 2011 thu 2013. I currently live in florida now and have the past 2 years.. is there a way around this? since I no longer live there?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: it looks like it comes to around 5,000 dollars....I have no way of paying that. can they the state of GA garnish my wages if I live in FL now?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.

Although the state of Florida limits how much can be taken from your wages, state income taxes owed (even to another state) are allowed under garnishments.

Your wages can be garnished without a court judgment for:

  • unpaid income taxes (states and Federal)
  • court ordered child support
  • child support arrears, and
  • defaulted student loans