Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have a question about the IRS statute of limitation. The

I have a question about...
I have a question about the IRS statute of limitation.
The IRS says that I need to ask for a refund “within 3 years from the time the return was filed or 2 years from the time the tax was paid, whichever expires later”.In my case I filed my 2014 tax return in April 2014, and paid the 2014 balance due in Jun 2016. Do I still have time to amend my 2014 tax return?
12/23/2016
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Sorry, I filed my 2014 tax return in April 2015*

Yes, the 2014 could be amended. The rule does state "Generally, for a credit or refund, you must file Form 1040X within 3 years (including extensions) after the date you filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. "

The 2 years means that if you are beyond the three-year period, you can only receive refunds for overpaid taxes that were actually paid during the previous two years.

A 2014 return due in 2015 would be allowed an amendment by April 2018.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4