How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Taylor Your Own Question
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1872
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark Taylor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I filed federal income taxes jointly can I change it to

Customer Question

If I filed federal income taxes jointly can I change it to married file separately for 2015?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I filed 2015 online married file jointly I would like to change it to married file separately.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: My income is less than my wife's and she is always claiming 4 dependants. For the past 4 years I wind up paying her income taxes owed.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 6 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Once you file Married Filing Jointly you are not able to amend the filing status after the April 15th deadline passes.

Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 6 months ago.

Going forward you may be able to file separately. What state do you live in?