Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What are the advantages and disadvantages of having an

Customer Question
Corporation(S) own an LLC? Basically having...
What are the advantages and disadvantages of having an Corporation(S) own an LLC?
Basically having a corporation as a holding company
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Tax
11/29/2016
Tax Professional: ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 11 months ago
ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi. Great Question.

One advantage - if the holding company owns 80 percent of the voting stock of another company (the subsidiary), the holding company can qualify for tax-free dividends.

The S-Corp can provide the monetary means and capability to jump start new companies and products.

An example for an advantage is an S corp may see a new product or marketing opportunity with circumstances that make owning an LLC for this opportunity advantageous. Buying or forming an LLC, owned by the S corp may be operationally more cost efficient.

On the tax-side, both are pass-through entities and have limited liability.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.

How would you go about selling the LLC to the S-Corporation?

Hi. I would first look in your LLC agreement for any "Buy-Sell" provisions, which can help the transfer/sale/purchase go smoothly and avoid disruptions. If you don’t have a buy-sell provision, you would need to draft the terms of the sale, which can initially be included in a term sheet or memorandum of understanding, followed by a more formal contract For that, you would need a lawyer to draft one up, since this it need very intricate legal terms in it.

ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group