Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Is a spouse legally obligated to provide tax information?

Customer Question
I am separated and my...

I am separated and my husband’s accountant won’t give me any information on my last tax income year and return. I didn’t work in 2015 but my husband earned high – I assume as I had $1,000 debit tax bill every quarter in 2015. Does my husband legally have to give me this information? Can the taxes be done in 2015 without a signature from me?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
11/28/2016
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 year ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Joint tax returns are not permitted in Australia. Each taxpayer files his/her own tax return whether they are married or not. If you had no income in 2015 you would not file a tax return and you would not have to sign anything. Your husband must include certain information about you on his tax return--i.e., name, date of birth, income, etc.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney