Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My wife is expecting to receive about $25,000.00 from her

Customer Question
mothers estate in New Hampshire...
My wife is expecting to receive about $25,000.00 from her mothers estate in New Hampshire. We live in Florida. Will she have to report this on her Federal Income Tax form? If so, what is the tax rate?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: Does my wife's age have any issue....she is 71.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/25/2016
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 11 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Where's the money from? Is it an inheritance?

Inheritance is generally is nontaxable but if you inherit income producing property like a rental house or stock, the income received after the death of the original owner can be taxable. For instance, if you inherit rental house, the house itself is not taxable but if you collect any rent, the rent is. If you inherit a stock, the fair market value of the stock on day of inheritance is nontaxable but dividends paid after is considered taxable income. Similar rules would apply to gifts; property received while the original owner is still alive.

Any questions?

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney