Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If i sell a condo do i have to pay taxes Assistant: Thanks.

Customer Question
if i sell a condo...
if i sell a condo do i have to pay taxes
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a condo that I rent is there any taxes involved
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/24/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 11 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi My name's Lane ... I can help here

...

I have a Law degree with concentration in Tax , Estate & Corporate Law, … an MBA, with specialization in finance … a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Please bear with me a moment while I prepare your response

If you sell the Condo, you may have a capital gains tax.

...

If you sell for more than you have invested (purchase prices plus improvements minus depreciation) then you will have a capital gain.

....

Long-term gains are taxed at:

...

• 0% if taxable income falls in the 10% or 15% marginal tax brackets
  • 15% if taxable income falls in the 25%, 28%, 33%, or 35% marginal tax brackets
  • 20% if taxable income falls in the 39.6% marginal tax bracket
  • 25% on Depreciation Recapture

...

in terms of renting the condo, you pay income tax on the rents (MINUS rental expenses such as depreciation, mortgage interest, property taxes, insurance, etc)

...

This is reported on schedule E.

...

If you'd like some help calculating the gain, I can help

He is not filing taxes in the states
Can I Email you after I will talk to him

my apologies... This question showed up in the US Tax area

...

If you'll provide the jurisdiction I'll move to the proper area.

...

If this is a common law country I may still be able to help, I have clients in UK, Canada and IE

What country?

I tried to accept the call request. But there was a problem of some sort ... Maybe you can contact customer service? (We expert users are not allowed to deal with account issues)

...

JA customer svc

1(###) ###-####/p>

Email | Chat | Phone

I will call you next Tusday

very good, but very quickly ... Is this a US person?

...

Lane

am but he is Canadian

ok... Then the way the gain is handled there is that only half (50%) of the capital gain on any given sale is taxed all at the marginal tax rate (which varies by province).

...

On a capital gain of $50,000 for instance, only half of that, or $25,000, would be taxable. For a Canadian in a 35% tax bracket for example, a $25,000 taxable capital gain would result in $8,750 taxes owing. The remaining $41,250 is the investors’ to keep.

...

If this is US property however, that would be another issue as well

To calculate any capital gain or loss, you need to know the following three amounts:

• the proceeds of disposition;
  • the adjusted cost base (ACB); and
  • the outlays and expenses incurred to sell your property.

To calculate your capital gain or loss, subtract the total of your property's ACB, and any outlays and expenses incurred to sell your property, from the proceeds of disposition.

1/2 of that gain, then, is added to other income

If you like I can make an offer to do the phone consult on Tuesday. Might be more efficient to sort all of this out.

(I charge $49 for a phone consult)

...

Let me know

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS