How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3368
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I have been out of work this year, but received a lump

Customer Question

If I have been out of work this year, but received a lump sum payout as income, what can I deduct from my taxes?
Health Insurance cost, leased auto, computer equipment, home office? I am starting a non-profit 501(c) organization before the end of the year but have been working on the launch all year.
P.S. I also traveled to a few potential partners and job interviews.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Based on the information you provided, it appears you have received self-employment income. There are many expenses you can deduct from this income, and the following list contains an excellent list of those expenses:

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 8 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can assist you further.

Best regards,


Related Tax Questions