How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3614
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need to know who can help me. I received a letter from the

Customer Question

Need to know who can help me. I received a letter from the IRS Stating that I now owe $14,000.00 for tax year 2014. that year I received back pay for disability and did my taxes on Turbo tax and received a refund. Who can help me with dealing with the IRS?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Disability payments are not always taxable.

Disability paid by an insurance company for lost wages, loss of limb, loss of sight (etc.) may or may not be taxable, depending on circumstance:

  • If the premiums were paid by your employer and were not included in your taxable income, the disability is taxable.
  • If you paid the premiums out of your own pocket or with payroll deductions that came out of your after-tax income, the disability is not taxable.
  • If you and your employer jointly paid the premiums, only the disability amount covered by your employer's payments are taxable.

My best advice would be to contact a CPA or Enrolled Agent in your local area who can review your 2014 tax return and the IRS letter. The CPA/Enrolled Agent can intercede on your behalf with the IRS.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 10 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can further assist you.

Best regards,