How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have sale of residence owned by 2 related parties. Mother

Customer Question

Have sale of residence owned by 2 related parties. Mother and adult son. Son has lived there over 5 years. Mother never occupied property. Gain on sale exceeds his exclusion by about $100K. In reporting on form 593, do I use two forms, one for each party, and allocate the gain in relation to their ownership percentage?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: mother is retired in late 80's, living on SS income mostly.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 8 months ago.

Hi. My mane is Eva and I will be happy to help you.

If two parties (other than husband and wife filing a joint return) are selling one property, each party is selling its own portion. If the mother owns 30% and the son owns 70%, the mother will claim 30% of the sales proceeds and 30% of her basis and her own exclusion if qualified. The same rule will apply to the son's portion.

You will have to complete two separate certificates for each party.

Related Tax Questions