Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Have sale of residence owned by 2 related parties. Mother

Customer Question
and adult son. Son has...
Have sale of residence owned by 2 related parties. Mother and adult son. Son has lived there over 5 years. Mother never occupied property. Gain on sale exceeds his exclusion by about $100K. In reporting on form 593, do I use two forms, one for each party, and allocate the gain in relation to their ownership percentage?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: mother is retired in late 80's, living on SS income mostly.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
11/22/2016
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 1 year ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My mane is Eva and I will be happy to help you.

If two parties (other than husband and wife filing a joint return) are selling one property, each party is selling its own portion. If the mother owns 30% and the son owns 70%, the mother will claim 30% of the sales proceeds and 30% of her basis and her own exclusion if qualified. The same rule will apply to the son's portion.

You will have to complete two separate certificates for each party.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney