Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

We have a private school with a 501C3 and the superintendant

Customer Question

We have a private school with a 501C3 and the superintendant has gotten mad about something and says he will cancel our 501C3 status. Can he do this because his signature is on the original document?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: We are having issues with the finances and want him to turn them over to our treasurer and he does not want to.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Generally, to terminate exempt status, you notify the IRS that you're terminating when you file your annual return or notice. I would assume the treasurer or an accountant files the annual return or notice not the superintendent.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We have a board of directors can the superintendent cancel this without their approval? If he can how can it be reinstated?
Expert:  Barbara replied 7 months ago.

He can do anything if that is his intention, but he should not without the board of directors' approval.

501C3 status can be reinstated by filing a new application.

Expert:  Barbara replied 7 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can further assist you.

Best regards,

Barb