Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am an associate superintendent for a public school

Customer Question
district in El Paso...
I am an associate superintendent for a public school district in El Paso , Texas. Many of our schools purchase polo shirts with the school logo for their employees to wear on Fridays and special events. When does the employee have to report this on their income tax? Does the dollar amount matter.
JA: The accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Most of the time the shirts range from $20 - $30
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/18/2016
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. How many shirts do employees receive each year. Please give me a moment.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One

This would not be considered income to the employee. The school is able to claim the amount of the expenses. Non Cash gifts of a minimal value (less than $75) would not be considered as income to the employee.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do you mean "The school is able to claim the amount of the expenses"?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks - no other further assistance is needed.

Sorry I am used to dealing with taxable entities where this would be a deductible expense. That is all I was referring to as being able to claim the expense.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor