Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

In general, when an individual sells land and is going to

Customer Question
get the payment in one...
in general, when an individual sells land and is going to get the payment in one lump sum, he may be propelled into a higher tax bracket. Would it be more advantageous for him to take the payments over a 2-3 year time period?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
11/16/2016
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 year ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for requesting me.

It appears that you are referring to an installment sale.

Under the installment method, you include in income each year only part of the gain you receive, or are considered to have received.

You can read more about this in the following link:

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc705.html

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent