Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Do I pay medicare taxes on Alimony payments that I make to

Customer Question
my ex? JA: The accountant will...
Do I pay medicare taxes on Alimony payments that I make to my ex?
JA: The accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I want to know if I can reduce the medicare taxes being paid as a W2 employee bsed on my net income after alimony?
JA: Is there anything else the accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Same question for CASDI and State taxes (AZ)
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
11/16/2016
Tax Professional: Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert replied 1 year ago
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

No. Unfortunately the two items are not related, although I see what you are getting at.

As you know the Medicare Tax on your earned income is withheld by your employer.

Although the alimony you pay is an income tax deduction, it is not a valid deduction from your earned income for the purpose of computing the Medicare tax on your earned income.

Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert