Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am helping my ex with his taxes. His house was foreclosed

Customer Question
on in Nov 2015....
I am helping my ex with his taxes. His house was foreclosed on in Nov 2015. He has canceled debt of $46k. I am wondering how to go about getting this exempt for California under insolvency? He had lost his job and was on unemployement for several months before he lost the house. The only other asset he owned was a truck and motorcycle, so his liabilities far exceeded his assets. He had already been penalized for cashing out his 401k just to pay his property taxes and mortgage. Any thoughts?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
11/15/2016
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Please give me a moment to prepare your response. Did he receive the cancellation of debt in 2015?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he received it in 2015 and it is exempt from tax for Federal, but not automatic from California

Ok thank you. I just wanted to make sure that the Cancellation of Debt was from 2015.

California does not conform to federal rules regarding cancellation of debt income. On December 31, 2013 the debt cancellation relief for home owners expired.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My question was regarding relief from Insolvency. I already know that it doesn't conform to Federal. My question is regarding steps to be taken for California purposes? Is this in your realm of expertise?
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor