ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Business Consultant/Accounting Manager
89981332

Tax Lien: How do you have a federal tax lien removed?

Customer Question

tax Lien: How do you have a federal tax lien removed?
Category: Tax
Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 10 months ago.
Hi. Great question. Here are the steps:Step 1: Complete IRS Form 12277.
Step 2: Send Form 122277 to the IRS.
Step 3: Wait for response from IRS.
Step 4: Dispute the lien with the Credit Reporting Agencies.
Step 5: Final confirmation.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have an appointment with the IRS on Monday? what should I take to dispute the Lien?
Hi. Make a copy of each Notice of Federal Tax Lien you received and proof that you paid off the debt. A copy of a canceled check or receipt from the IRS is sufficient proof.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have not paid the lien as they changed the amounts when they asked me to come to the IRS when I was having knee and eye surgery. When I could not come they changed the amounts and said I owed from my Schedule C and I did not, I asked them to keep the file open the the person said her supervisor said she had a deadline and could not. I do now owe tax and they did not give me the time nor a list of items that they needed and because I was sick and could not see from eye surgery and could not walk from knee replacements this was bad for me and they closed the audit.
The IRS has now taken 4 months at $300 a month from my social security leaving me isufficient funds to live and I am not entitled to public assistance or Medicare because of social security. I need help as they do not believe once they assess that they will changer

There is a way to claim hardship - there are payment plans that are under the 300 - look at this link to help you:

https://www.irs.gov/payments/alternative-payment-plans-hardship-information/alternative-payment-plans-hardship-information

I would show the hardship and any bills for knee replacement, etc. If you can get a Legal Aid attorney to help, that would be good, too. They are no or low cost.

Have someone go with you, too, so they can ask questions, as well.

Bring all of your Schedule C evidence (documents, etc.) with you - if you can, go over it with a local accountant, if possible.