How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anne Your Own Question
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2439
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Anne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need to speak to an experienced tax lawyer....concerning

Customer Question

Hey Pearl......need to speak to an experienced tax lawyer....concerning individual 1040
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: callifornia...regarding IRS not state....
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have overpaid my 2012 taxes but didnt file.... I am owed 40K back...but they have a statute on refunds that expired in april
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: would want the attorneys fee schedule as well as a good overveiw of their background
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 11 months ago.


I'm Anne & I've been preparing taxes for 28 years. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Anne replied 11 months ago.


I wish I could tell you absolutely that you could file now and still receive your refund.........although it's not totally hopeless, your 3 year "window of opportunity" to file for your refund JUST closed 10/15/2016. (due date with extensions)

It is a long shot, but you could still file, and see if the IRS will honor your request since you're not too far out of their extension time (again, 10/15) This is not a done deal though, and if the IRS denies your claim, you really have no recourse, since you didn't meet the filing deadline.

If I were you though, I would file the return and see what's not totally out of the question for the IRS to send the refund...Please see below:

If my answer has helped you, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.