Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am in the early stages of forming a 501c3 public charity

Customer Question
using the IRS Form 1023EZ...
I am in the early stages of forming a 501c3 public charity using the IRS Form 1023EZ and I just noticed on the form that I can use a trust as my Organization Type. I already have formed a C corp, but since I have been forming and using Land Trusts for many years (Florida type), perhaps I would be better off to use such a familiar structure here as well. I wonder as to the pros and cons of each structure. Your comments would be appreciated.
John O
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
11/10/2016
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions.
A trust would need to be irrevocable. The assets would need to be irrevocably distributed for the charitable purpose.
A c corporation is more common for a non profit. A corporation can perform activities and enter transactions.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am looking for a comparative information, not factual information. My initial request was for pros and cons as to using C Corp or a trust for a 501c3 formation. So far that has not been addressed
I understand. Please give me a moment.
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor