How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Taylor Your Own Question
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1843
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark Taylor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a US citizen (born in California to European parents)

Customer Question

I am a US citizen (born in California to European parents) and live in the USA. I am aware of FACT reporting requirments of any German accounts that I have ( and am compliant). My question: if my now nearly 90 year old parents want to give me power of attorney to manage their affairs in Germany, do I need to report that under FACTA?
JA: The accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the accountant should know?
Customer: At this point, my parents just want to appoint as their power of attorney over their financial affairs. I would not yet begin actually managing their financial affairs at this point (they are still capable).
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 7 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. If you have control over the account (signing authority) you need to disclose the account.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Does this apply to the point in time at which my parents sign the bank documents for me to have power of attorney or to the point in time when I actually start to represent them?
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 7 months ago.

This would apply when you sign the bank documents for you to have power of attorney.