How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15326
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a resident of Colorado. I married a resident of

Customer Question

I am a resident of Colorado. I married a resident of Arkansas on December 12, 2015. We filed separate individual tax returns for 2015. Now we were told we need to submit amended returns, married, filing separately. Is this correct? In the process I came across the term "status 4." what is that?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes. An amendment was sent in - but it didn't include any information about my tax return for 2015
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 months ago.

You could file joint for federal and then still file your state returns with just your own resident income listed on your own state returns.

For instance in Colorado, a resident taxpayer and nonresident or part-year resident spouse must file a joint Colorado income tax return if they file a joint federal income tax return. Use the nonresident or part-year resident tax computation rules found on Form 104PN. This form can also be found in the Individual Income Tax Booklet (104). Both the 104 and the 104PN schedule must be completed and filed with the Colorado Department of Revenue.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 months ago.

Neither of you can file as a single filer. You can file joint or married filing separate.

If you choose joint then you each only report in your state the correct income for that specific state but not all your income as you show on federal combined.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if you need clarification. If you do not then a positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response. (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES)

Related Tax Questions