How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3812
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My corp. is registered in NY& am providing janitorial

Customer Question

my corp. is registered in NY& am providing janitorial services in NJ. What must I do to file tax. Do I re-register in NJ because my employees live here
JA: The accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the accountant should know?
Customer: I am being sub-contracted by a NY Company. Do I pay just NY taxes since they are paying me and not the client. What do I handle the employees? Right now I am treating them as regular NY employees as far as the pay stubs go with NY withholdings
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

You will register in NJ because your employees live and work in NJ so you can withhold the appropriate taxes in NJ. There is no reciprocal agreement between NY and NJ.

The following links contain excellent information regarding withholding taxes for employees when multiple states are involved:

Once you review the information provided in the above links, please let me know if you have any other questions so I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 11 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,