How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Taylor Your Own Question
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2280
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark Taylor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister receive a letter from the Social security saying

Customer Question

hi, my sister receive a letter from the Social security saying that they overpaid her. And they said she has 30 days to pay $2,300. Can they do that?
JA: The accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I'm sorry I don't know what you mean
JA: Is there anything else important you think the accountant should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Please give me a moment to prepare your response.

Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 10 months ago.

Yes, Social Security can send a notice demanding payment from over-payment of benefits. Your sister has a few options. She could appeal the notice. She could submit a waiver. Or she could do both.