Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Please. Arkansas, no this is just a question about my

Customer Question

please.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Arkansas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no this is just a question about my wanting to move to another firm
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am a 1099 commercial real estate agent. I want to move my license as I am not yet a Principal Broker
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I can help here.

...

It's is not as simple as reviewing your contract with the broker and making the switch.

...

You migh wan to ask about the transition assistance provided by the broker where you want to move.

...

Doesn't HAVE to be difficult. It's just a matter of paperwork. The harder part is dealing with who retains listings and whether or not the broker will require a referral fee.

...

Those items would be outlined in your independent contractor agreement between you and your broker.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
HI, I am a commercial real estate agent and am thinking about moving to a small residential real estate firm and hang my license there. I am paid as a 1099 employee. I would like to do a LLC or whichever is the better for my situation. My question is, if I am working only at this time with a new client verbally on a pretty big deal as far as I would represent the owner/seller exclusively and sell her land/improved, etc....but we have not yet signed the paperwork, can I take this "deal" with me to the other firm?
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

That's COMLETELY a matter that depends on your contract.

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

If there's been no listing or any other paperwork ... It will be hard for the broker to stop.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay...I will read over my contract.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Yep, the devil's in the details ... there could BE a provision that says any relationship initiated while with that broker belongs to the broker

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is this going to cost me more than $5?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Oh...I don't want to pay that right now.
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

I hjave no idea... we experts are users just as you (albeit with my law degree and other credentials verified)

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

If the site has made some offer just ignore that (not coming from me)

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Important thing to remember: your listings usually stay with an original broker.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Gotcha. I am pretty sure it is not in there. It's a small firm and it's more about what I may owe or not owe from my draw
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Just be sure and you should be fine.

...

Turn your licnese and pockett card, if you have one, over your old broker.

...

In most states the agent is required to fill out a "REAL ESTATE LICENSE-TRANSFER FORM" supplied by your local real estate commission, fill it out and have it signed by a broker at the company you are transferring to and then mail or fax to the real estate commission.

...

This form acts as a 30 day temporary licnese. Probably a small fee

...

Your terminating broker is responsible for signing and returning your license and pocket card. And again, your listings belong to your old broker.

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before you rate me

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and v clicking “submit").

...

Thanks!

Lane

... I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.