Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Please let me know if you need me to send a link to the

Customer Question
previous questions as this is...
Please let me know if you need me to send a link to the previous questions as this is related. In regards ***** ***** Is the 10% (15% after February) taken from the total sale price or just my equity/profit? So if I sold for 300k and my mortgage is 180 would I have $45k withholding or $18k?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
11/4/2016
Tax Professional: attyadvisor,
 replied 1 year ago
attyadvisor

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Tax Professional: attyadvisor,
 replied 1 year ago

Let me send you to the tax category. Thank you.

Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Please give me a moment to prepare your response.

If you sold the home the FIRPTA withholding would be 15% of the sales price or $45,000. You would need to complete a tax return to receive a refund of this withholding.

If the house is sold for $300,000 or less there would not be any withholding. If it is above $300,000 then the 15% FIRPTA withholding is required.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor