How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Fiona Chen Your Own Question
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 482
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Dr. Fiona Chen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Received a form 14611 reporting Identiy Theft. Notified to

Customer Question

Received a form 14611 reporting Identiy Theft. Notified to contact:
JA: The accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: 1-***-***-**** Have been calling for 2weeks, at no avail. Recording, make call at another time. Have also continued to try to find e-mail address at no avail! There is NO identify theft involved. My CPA continues to request information on a filed tax return. Wanting to give my CPA authorization to receive whatever information is needed. CAN NOT GET INTOUCH WITH IRS
JA: Is there anything else the accountant should be aware of?
Customer: YES..Jerry Goldstein,CPA has questions concerning a tax return that is in question by the IRS. Again reiterating, giving him, my CPA authorization to have what is needed by the IRS. this notice is to be clarified, NOT an identity Theft situation. Yet, call NOT get through the phone lines to clarify
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 8 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Identity issue may not be at your end or on your tax return. Usually, it is because someone else tried to use or used your social security number to file a tax return. Sometimes, the IRS picks up certain return because they consider there is a possibility of identify theft because your return is similar with certain information with other taxpayer(s).

Because you have authorized your CPA to handle the situation for you, you don't have to call (contact) the IRS. Your CPA should.

Have your CPA contact the practitioner priority service at(###) ###-#### The wait time can be less. Even if s/he is transferred to other lines, the wait time is less.

The best time to call, if you want to "beat the system", is 7 am and/or half an hour before they close. But if we have an urgent matter, we want to call when there are the most agents available to talk to us. Then, we don't want to wait for too late. Personally, I use Friday to make the calls. That is, the entire Friday. For each case, I schedule at least three hours for one phone call. Otherwise, it would not be enough time for the hold, transfer. Once you get them on the phone, it may not be too long.

When the recorder says "cannot take your call at this time", call back in 10 minutes or so. I routinely represent clients before the IRS. I plan on be on hold for at least two hours if I get to be on hold. My longest conversation and on hold record is 8 hours. The latest hour is up to 10 pm with collection. That is because if we can get on line with them before 7 pm, they usually cannot stop the conversation with whatever we are working on.

This is part of the deal of dealing with the IRS. But think it this way, the person (IRS representative) at the other end does not rest. They are one phone call after another. So, if we are polite and pleasant, they are getting a break and continue to help us.

This is the way to resolve the issue.

Please feel free to follow up.



Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Part of question was not answered. I am in need of an IRS e-mail address regarding this matter, form 14611 (notice from IRS)
And tax return question, form 4506-T
( that is written on Identity Theft letter.