How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15734
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a letter from the iRS stating I owed taxes from

Customer Question

I received a letter from the iRS stating I owed taxes from 2013 and 2014. Confused because both years I received a small refund. My husband died in 2013. The letter threatened a lien. My challenge is that, during my move to downsize, I have misplaced the letter. I simply cannot get anyone on the phone. Suggestions??
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 11 months ago.

You need the information as to why you have a tax debt before you can refute it. You could go into your nearest local office and speak to someone that could pull up your record of account or you can request a transcript.

You would ask for a Tax Account Transcript - it shows basic data such as return type, marital status, adjusted gross income, taxable income and all payment types. It also shows changes made after you filed your original return.

If the IRS changed your return it would show on the transcript.

You can request that by following the instructions here

To find your nearest office use this

As I said, until you can know what this is you cannot address it specifically.

Please let me know if you need clarification. If you do not then a positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response. (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES)

Expert:  Robin D. replied 11 months ago.

Did you want to reply?