Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

An LLC was recently transferred over to me. I have a copy of

Customer Question
An LLC was recently transferred...
An LLC was recently transferred over to me. I have a copy of the Operating Agreement in my name. The former owner (sole proprietor) was issued an EIN. Nothing has changed with the company - same name, address, type of business, etc. What do I need to file with the IRS to get a new EIN issued?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
11/1/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

You can apply for the new EIN online as a sole proprietor.

An LLC is an entity created by state statute. The IRS did not create a new tax classification for the LLC when it was created by the states; instead IRS uses the tax entity classifications it has always had for business taxpayers: corporation, partnership, or disregarded as an entity separate from its owner, referred to as a “disregarded entity.” An LLC is always classified by the IRS as one of these types of taxable entities. If a “disregarded entity” is owned by an individual, it is treated as a sole proprietor. If the “disregarded entity” is owned any other entity, it is treated as a branch or division of its owner.

This LLC is still a sole prop under your ownership now so you just need to apply for an EIN yourself now.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/how-to-apply-for-an-ein

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4