Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I retired a few months ago. I took my vacation without taxes

Customer Question
it's $100,000. I was going...
I retired a few months ago. I took my vacation without taxes it's $100,000. I was going to buy a piece of property in Las Vegas but I didn't what can I do
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
10/31/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

The $100k would be added to your income for the year. This is true even if you had purchased the property.

There is no way ta this point to avoid taxation on the income unfortunately.

If you did not pay enough tax throughout the year, either through withholding or by making estimated tax payments, you may have to pay a penalty for underpayment of estimated tax.

Generally, most taxpayers will avoid this penalty if they either owe less than $1,000 in tax after subtracting their withholding and estimated tax payments, or if they paid at least 90% of the tax for the current year or 100% of the tax shown on the return for the prior year, whichever is smaller.

You would look to your previous year return and see if you at least had withholding this year that matches the tax liability for the previous year.

Please do not start a new question to respond.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4