How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15332
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tax law... I have been trying to make good on my prior

Customer Question

Tax law... I have been trying to make good on my prior federal tax returns. As I file my previous returns and they are accepted I get back state tax bills. The back state taxes are from MD but I now live and work in PA. Can MD garnish my PA wages? or can get my federal tax stuff straight and then worry about the MD state taxes later? I can't afford both right now
Thank you
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 months ago.

Maryland can take many actions to collect a back tax debt. They can garnish wages even if you are in a different state. They can also request an offset of federal tax refunds.

If you need to discuss payment options, call their Collections Section at(###) ###-####or 1-***-***-****. This would allow you to avoid garnishments and levies.