Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Tax law... I have been trying to make good on my prior

Customer Question
federal tax returns. As...
Tax law... I have been trying to make good on my prior federal tax returns. As I file my previous returns and they are accepted I get back state tax bills. The back state taxes are from MD but I now live and work in PA. Can MD garnish my PA wages? or can get my federal tax stuff straight and then worry about the MD state taxes later? I can't afford both right now
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
10/31/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Maryland can take many actions to collect a back tax debt. They can garnish wages even if you are in a different state. They can also request an offset of federal tax refunds.

If you need to discuss payment options, call their Collections Section at(###) ###-####or 1-***-***-****. This would allow you to avoid garnishments and levies.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4