How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3368
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

An elderly couple selling a second home, are the monies

Customer Question

An elderly couple selling a second home, are the monies gained from the sale taxable? Is this true only of the personal residence?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Capital gains tax is due on the sale of a second home. You will pay capital gains tax on the difference between your adjusted basis and the sales price.

The following link contains excellent information which you will find helpful:

The sale of home exclusion (up to $500,000 for a married couple filing a joint return) for capital gains applies to the sale of your primary residence only.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 8 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please let me know so I can assist you further.

Best regards,


Related Tax Questions