Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

An elderly couple selling a second home, are the monies

Customer Question
gained from the sale taxable...
An elderly couple selling a second home, are the monies gained from the sale taxable? Is this true only of the personal residence?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
10/31/2016
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 year ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Capital gains tax is due on the sale of a second home. You will pay capital gains tax on the difference between your adjusted basis and the sales price.

The following link contains excellent information which you will find helpful:

http://finance.zacks.com/second-home-capital-gain-tax-rules-7781.html

The sale of home exclusion (up to $500,000 for a married couple filing a joint return) for capital gains applies to the sale of your primary residence only.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please let me know so I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent