How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4666
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was wanting to find out wether or not I owe the IRS money

Customer Question

Hello Pearl, My name is ***** ***** I was wanting to find out wether or not I owe the IRS money for not filing my taxes for this last year do to being in treatment for addiction?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Before I went to treatment which was on Feb 25, 2015 I had a couple of jobs that lasted until my first paycheck. Since I knew that i wasn't going to get a lot of money back on my taxes, I didn't file them. Will this hinder my tax refund for 2016?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: Yes, wether or not I owe the IRS any money? And also, where I can find my W-2 tax forms that I should've been filed for the past two years? Also i would like to know if and how I can find out about any outstanding balances that I might owe to anyone and how I can go about in taking care of all of these matters would be greatly appreciated? Thank you
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 11 months ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax. I can assist with all of these questions.

Expert:  PDtax replied 11 months ago.
  1. A late filed return like yours should be filed, with an explanation and request for relief from any late charges due to your treatment. You will likely get all of your refund.
  2. You can contact IRS at and request a transcript of your prior year w-2 and 1099 firms, if any. I suggest requesting mailed copies you can keep support the figures. Then you can file the late returns.
  3. If you owe IRS or your state, filing the unfiled returns will restart your connection with both agencies, and they will contact you if any old tax debts might be due. If you don't want to wait, a tax pro can call and get that information directly from the agencies.

Hope that covers everything. Please ask if you need more. If this covers things, please rate my response with positive feedback. I'm PDtax.

Expert:  PDtax replied 11 months ago.

Hi again. PDtax here.

I'm following up to close out questions before month end, and see you are yet to provide feedback to close out your inquiry.

If you need anything more, please ask. Otherwise, if my answer met your needs, please rate with positive feedback to close out your request.