How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12443
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am cyrrently on ssdi for ra but have a more severe

Customer Question

i am cyrrently on ssdi for ra but have a more severe disability now a massive stytroke how can i update thecondfition and hopefully receive a little more money?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: new mexico
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: anything meaning what
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I can help explain this for you.


I'm so very sorry.


The severity of the condition doesn't affect he size of your benefits.


The benefits are based on the (1)amount of time you had in the social security system, (2) your average earnings over that time, and (3) the determination that you meet social security's definition of disability.


So, although your condition being worse, or having additional conditions, will CERTAINLY keep the Disability from disappearing on those reviews they do to see if you are STILL disabled (again, I'm so sorry) it will not increase the amount of the payments.

Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before you rate me


If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit").




I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.