Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Tax question: My husband lives in Michigan and I live in

Customer Question
Georgia and work in Georgia...
Tax question: My husband lives in Michigan and I live in Georgia and work in Georgia. We are trying to find the best way to file our income taxes. We both own homes. His income is 149K and my income is 81K. What would be the best way and more beneficial way for us to file our income taxes.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
10/25/2016
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 year ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

You will use the married filing jointly filing status for your federal tax return.

GA permits you to file married filing separate even if you file married filing jointly on your federal tax return. Unfortunately, in MI if you use the married filing jointly filing status for federal, you are required to file married filing jointly in MI.

My best advice would be to create a "mock" married filing jointly tax return for federal and then create a "mock" married filing separate tax return for each of you for federal to determine which filing status is more advantageous.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please let me know so I can further assist you.

Best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent