How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 75 and get 25kss,5k from annuity I file

Customer Question

I am 75 and get 25kss,5k from annuity I file tax returns but do not need to pay..this year I need to pay medical bills and much can I take to stay in a low tax bracket
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 9 months ago.

Well, as usual, that depends.

Let's try to go at this in a slightly different manner.

Are you Single?

How much do you need to withdraw (from your annuity?) to pay the medical bills you referred to?

I ask, because if the medical bills plus any other itemized deductions are sufficient to exceed the Standard Deduction, then if your withdrawals are for deductible medical expenses, including medical insurance premiums, then most of what you withdraw won't be taxable anyway.

The only negative aspect is if you need to withdraw a substantial amount (again is it from your annuity?) then it is possible that a portion of your Social Security benefits will become subject to tax, although most likely that won't apply unless you need to withdraw an extra 25K or 30K and even then you would remain in the 10% federal tax bracket for only a few thousand dollars of taxable income resulting in a few hundred dollars in tax.

But if you give me your filing status, Single? and how much you need for medical bills and where you plan on obtaining that, I can give you a more definitive answer.

Steve G.