Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am a G4 Visa holder and I am trying to buy a house to give

Customer Question
Hi, I am a G4 Visa...
I am a G4 Visa holder and I am trying to buy a house to give out for rent. My questions are:
a) Can I legally buy a house, jointly with another US citizen?
b) Can I then rent that property and have rental income from that property?
c) Do I have to pay taxes in the US for that? As a G4 visa holder, I don't need to pay any US taxes in general.
Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
10/20/2016
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Yes, you can legally buy a home with another US Citizen. You would need a TAX ID number when you sell the property. Yes you would need to report the rental income on a tax return. You would report the rental income and expenses. If there is any net income this would be the amount that would potentially be taxable.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor