Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We owe back taxes and are on an installment agreement that

begins November 1. Our...
We owe back taxes and are on an installment agreement that begins November 1. Our letter said that to have monthly payments begin November 1, I needed to send account information with a check for my monthly payment due on October 1 to prevent default on our account. I sent a check twice but the payments bounced. My husband and I are retired now and the amount of the installment agreement is based on past payments when we were both working. Should I resend a check for October and hope I haven't defaulted on the agreement yet because my previous attempts failed? I should have the funds in the bank but it's very hard to reach anyone at the IRS to ask about this.
10/19/2016
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi My name's Lane.

...

I know it's tough, but the only way to be sure is to call.

...

Once you have them, so that they can connect the dots - otherwise the system will ust kick you out - you can make the payment in several ways:

...

Pay Online Directly from
Your Bank Account

If you're an individual taxpayer, IRS Direct Pay offers you a free, secure electronic payment method.

Pay with Your Debit or
Credit Card

Choose an approved payment processor to make a secure tax payment online or by phone.

Other Ways You Can Pay

...

I've been working with individuals woith these issues for years, and as of the last 7 or eitght years, I can tell you that I've not seen a single time where curling up with a good book and waiting to get someone on the phone didn't work .. and becasue processing times are so terrible today, MANY times where just sending in money after something's bounced still ended in the agreement defaulting.

...

I'd strongly urge the get comfortable, put 'em on speaker phone and wait method (in your circimstance).

...

Based on what you've said, simply sending in another check, or even going online and making a payment electronically (without caling them so that can confirm payment and connect it to the installment agreement) you'll likely go into default on the plan.

...

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content. Otherwise I’ll receive no compensation for the work here at all, from JustAnswer.

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS