How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3766
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in California. I sold the stuff around my house

Customer Question

I live in California. I sold the stuff around my house online during the summer - mostly books - and made around $ 700 gross sales. Then I decided to do this as a business and got my seller permit on Sep 27. After I got the permit I started to collect sale tax but before I didn't collect tax. Do I need to declare this revenue to California Board of Equalization as gross sales on quarterly sale tax return form or just declare the amounts after sep 27 ? Thank you.
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 12 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Because you obtained your seller's permit on 9/27, my best advice would be to use the sales from that day forward for sales tax purposes.

For income reporting purposes on your federal and state tax returns, you should include the $700 in your total income.

The following link contains great information about sales tax in CA which you may find helpful:

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for quick response Barbara.