How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15606
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to know if I had personal real estate (my home)

This answer was rated:

I would like to know if I had personal real estate (my home) that I chose not to take the deductions this year (due to no more money obtainable from IRS in deductions for that year), and treat like the investment properties, in effect, and put for future tax years?

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

The taxes and interest you pay on your home are only allowed to be deducted in the year you pay them. You cannot save the deductions for a future year when you think you may need them.

Unfortunately, if you do not use the deductions in the current year then they are lost and you cannot use them in a future year.

Please let me know if you need clarification. If you do not then a positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response. (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Is there anything I can decide not to use in the current year any opt to carry forward other than business type items?

Business is the use required.

Personal deductions do have some carry overs but not by choice. For example, charitable contributions that you are not able to deduct in the current year because they exceed your adjusted-gross-income limits. You can deduct the excess in each of the next 5 years until it is used up, but not beyond that time. Your total contributions deduction for the year to which you carry your contributions cannot exceed 50% of your adjusted gross income for that year.

You cannot just hold on to the contributions and use them in a later year, you have to first apply the amount in the year contributed then excess can be carried forward.

If you rate in a positive way (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES) I am credited with responding. It adds nothing to your costs but it assists me.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

What happens if I cannot take any of it in the year eligable because it will have no effect on taxes. Can I still carry forward for futures years (up to five) e.g. 2013 cannot use any of it., 2014 can use 37% of, 2015 cannot use, 2016 can use remainder of 2013, and have some from 2015, and all of 2016?

No unfortunately. You have to use in the year of the contributions first.

If you cannot use any then you have no carry forward.

Robin D. and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you