How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15732
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the treasurer for my daughters high school athletic

Customer Question

Good Morning Pearl, I am the treasurer for my daughters high school athletic boosters. I need to know how to find out if the previous treasurer or president filled a 501(c) for tax exemption and I'm trying to find out if we need to file a 990 firm with the IRS?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: Our athletic boosters is separate from the school and they are requesting this information and I'm not sure what I need to do.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

You may confirm an organization's status by calling the IRS (toll-free) at 1-***-***-****.

ALL nonprofit groups are required to file tax returns. The IRS has a rule that any organization, regardless of income, MUST file the appropriate tax return.

Organizations recognized as tax-exempt file the appropriate form of IRS 990 (990-N, 990-EZ, 990-Full). If an organization does not have tax-exempt status it may be required to file a corporate tax return and pay tax on net income.

Booster clubs should have their own EIN (Employer Identification Number) and not use their school’s EIN. The booster club funds and associated bank account(s) should be kept separate from the school’s funds and bank account(s) to enable accurate accounting.

Schools generally want assurance that booster clubs are properly organized [IRS 501(c)(3)’s] and employing sound financial practices.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

I hope this was helpful and best wishes on your position.

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.